PM-417 Print Head Replacement
Note: Before starting printhead replacement, ensure that ink levels are at least 30% full or higher and that the maintenance cartridge (if used) is less than 50% full.
1. Open the maintenance utility, select Key Operator Mode (default) and press okay
2. Select USB as Connecting port (default) and press okay
3. Navigate to the Parts Replacement Tab at the top of the maintenance Utility
4. Select the parts to be replaced. In this case we will only be changing the printhead assembly so we select "Printhead" and then click Start
5. A Parts Replacement Utility will appear. Press Next to restart the printer into a maintenance mode
6. After the printhead has restarted, the Parts replacement utility will prompt you to drain the ink from the installed head. Click next to start this process.
7. Ink will begin to drain from the printhead. The first half of this process takes about 6-7 Minutes.
8. After step 1 has completed, the Parts Replacing Utility will now prompt you to remove the ink tanks.
Remove the Black, Cyan, Magenta, and yellow ink tanks from the printer by unlatch the blue latches and pulling out each cartridge leaving the blue latches open
Once all four cartridges have been removed, press OK in the utility to continue draining ink from the system.
9. The system will continue step two of the ink draining process. This step takes approximately 10 minutes.
10. Once the system has finished, the Parts Replacing Utility will prompt you to turn off the power to the system.
Turn off the main power (above where the power cord plugs in next to the ink tanks) and press next in the utility
11. The utility will now show some diagrams on removing the printhead and blade cleaner, but there are a few things we must do before we can access these parts. First, raise the printhead by turning the height adjustment knob clockwise so it is its maximum position.
If the knob gets too hard to turn do not over tighten as it may stirp out the gear assembly. The printhead should be roughly 1/2 - 3/4" off the transport surface (12-19mm) as shown below:
12. Loosen the printhead slide knob and move the printhead to its outer position away from the ink tank box. Note if you feel something snagging during this stop pulling as the ink lines or wiring assembly may be caught.
14. While not necessary, it sometimes help to remove the the two forward brackets for more room to work with using a T-10 Torx driver.
14. At this point it recommended to use included gloves. Move wire assembly and ink lines off to the sides so that there is a clear channel for the printhead to be removed.
15. Remove protective cover from internal module by pulling out from the top tab
17. Next push down on the handle marked "2" - again use the on screen diagrams in the parts replacement screen for further reference. The clip should spring open downwards exposing the blade cleaner
19. Next, remove printhead from module by pulling on the handle marked YMCK firmly back towards the back of the PM-417.
Note: it is important not to touch the bottom of the printhead where the nozzles are as they can easily be damaged.
20. Unbox and dock the replacement printhead and prepare to install reverse of installation.
NOTE: Be very careful not to touch the bottom of the printhead where the nozzles are as they can be easily damaged.
24. Once latch 2 has been lifted, push down latch number 1 to seat the printhead connection points - ensure it is firmly down.
25. Using the used docking station from the new printhead, safely dock the old printhead for later use or analysis and reinstall protective cover back into unit
26. Reinstall Back cover on to printer
27. Press Next on the Parts Replacing Utility.
28. Reinstall the ink tanks into their respective locations and press next in the parts replacement utility.